Genesect will make its Pokemon Go debut in the new Special Research story event, A Drive to Investigate.
The Special Research requires a story ticket, but whether you have one or not, you'll be able to participate in the weekend-long Genesect-themed event in
The Genesect-themed weekend event will kick off on
March 20 at 8am local time
, and run through
March 23 at 10pm local time
During the period, the following features will be live:
- Normal-, Fire-, Water-, Electric-, and Ice-type Pokémon will be appearing more often in the wild. You might see Pokemon such as Jigglypuff, Magnemite, Marill, Houndour, and Snorunt appearing more frequently in the wild.
- Nincada will be appearing in the wild and hatching from 5 km Eggs. You might encounter or hatch a Shiny Nincada.
- Karrablast and Shelmet will be hatching more often from 5 km Eggs.
- One-star to four-star Raid Battles will feature various Bug- or Steel-type Pokemon.
- Bonuses include 2x Catch Stardust and Hatch Stardust.
A Drive to Investigate---a Special Research story event
Professor Willow needs you to help him discover which Pokemon is leaving a trail of damage in its wake. In order to participate in the Special Research, you will need to purchase a ticket to gain access and to come face-to-face with Genesect. The Pokemon will also appear in EX Raids
starting in April
The Special Research story event will take place on
Friday, March 20 at 8am local
Thursday, March 26 at 10pm local
Your ticket comes with the opportunity to access or earn the following:
- A new Special Research line featuring an early-access encounter with a Genesect---this is Genesect's first appearance in Pokemon Go.
- A Drive to Investigate medal
- Research objectives that lead to encounters with various Bug- and Steel-type Pokemon, including Pinsir, Scizor, Skarmory, Karrablast, and Shelmet, as well as other Pokemon that appear in the story or are related to Genesect.
- Research objectives that lead to an encounter with Durant, which is typically available only in the eastern hemisphere.
- Exclusive Genesect-themed avatar items, such as a bag and a cap.
- 5 Premium Battle Passes, 3 Super Incubators, 3 Charged TMs, 3 Fast TMs, 3 Incense, 3 Star Pieces, 1 Poffin, 15 Rare Candies, and 1 Glacial Lure.
- Encounters with Scyther, Skarmory, Nincada, and Shieldon after completing exclusive Field Research tasks
To receive the
A Drive to Investigate Special Research
, you must open Pokemon Go during the event, after which you can complete it at any time -- even if you don't complete it by March 26. The ticket is $7.99, or your regional equivalent, and it can be purchased in the shop.